Those who are filled with pride may think they are free but they are slaves to their desires; Only those who have given their lives over in service to God are truly free.
These three cards add up to 29/11 so the quint is Justice and again we have a theme of balancing the scales. What needs to be brought into balance here is very clear to see. The 6 of Wands + The Devil gives us a theme of pride and the bondage associated with pride.
A proud person…
- Does not acknowledge their own insufficiency
- Relies only on their own thoughts, desires and willpower
- Does not ask forgiveness
- Does not forgive
- Does not ask for guidance
- Is never fully aligned with their life purpose
- Cares not as much about others as about self
- Does not surrender
- Does not acknowledge their maker
- Is filled with shame and secrets
- Has a high maintenance persona
- Does not let anyone see their true self
- Is, because of all of the above, incapable of true joy, peace and contentment
The 8 of Cups (Saturn in Pisces) asks us to abandon all of the heavy burdens associated with pride and return to innocence and dependence on our Maker. We are called to take higher ground and the journey begins on our knees.
The Beatitudes from the Gospel of Matthew
And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
When the Devil shows up in a Tarot reading, we should be grateful. He keeps us from growing soft and keeps us alert. His presence ensures that we keep our light burning through night, ever vigilant against temptation.
Veni, Sancte Spiritus!